Wine Talk

Snooth User: watchstop

1993 Taittinger

Posted by watchstop, Nov 28, 2015.

Stored for the past fifteen years in a cool and dark place, is Millesime Brut Champagne still good?  Unopened, of course.  I assume it cannot (should not?) be resold, but we will be able to tell when we open a bottle if it is ok to drink?  Should it be at room temperature before opening, or cooled?

Replies

Reply by dmcker, Nov 28, 2015.

'93 Taittinger, if stored properly, should be just fine. Chill it to drinking temperature, open with friends or family or both, and enjoy. Let us know how you find it!

You should get more value through that shared drinking experience than you're likely to get from reselling, even if you can do so without heaps of hassle.

Cheers.

Reply by watchstop, Nov 28, 2015.

Thank you so much; this is highly encouraging and takes care of my worries that the wine might have gone bad.

Reply by dmcker, Nov 28, 2015.

The flavor profile will have changed a bit compared to when it's younger, but I enjoy aged champagnes very much. Look for toasty flavors and let us know what else you discover as you drink it!

Reply by Richard Foxall, Dec 1, 2015.

That's going to change your whole perception of aging sparkling wine, Watchstop.  What's the story behind how it managed to hit 22 years with such good provenance?  Did a family member have a cellar and leave it/give it to you? 

Definitely won't be like a young wine, but will be amazing, most likely.

Reply by zufrieden, Dec 1, 2015.

I wish I could wait that long, but as the others rightly say, if the storage was good and luck (cork integrity, etc.) was with you, you should enjoy the fruits of your long wait.  Personally, however, I would drink up...  if you are even remotely close to my venerable age.

Z.

Back to Categories

Popular Topics

Top Contributors This Month

259386 Snooth User: zufrieden
259386zufrieden
11 posts
1413489 Snooth User: dvogler
1413489dvogler
7 posts
357808 Snooth User: vin0vin0
357808vin0vin0